Sunday, August 19, 2007

Stash serenity

Big progress to report on the Mathiemom stash! In the spirit of "changing the things I can," I decided to organize & inventory my stash. Okay, full disclosure: DH insisted that said stash be organized, as we were setting up our daughter's room as a hobby room (she grew up and moved out). Somehow many stuffed plastic vats of various sizes along with miscellaneous boxes, bags and stragglers just didn't appeal to him. All right, the rest of the story: the ceiling was falling in and the plaster guy was coming to put in a new one. Call me insane, but the threat of chunks of plaster & dust in my stash was enough to get me to make sure that each and every last skein and ball was properly protected. So we bought three bookcase-type storage units, boxes and boxes of ziploc bags in assorted sizes, and I went to work, bagging and categorizing on an Excel spreadsheet. And . . . voila! Hey, it only took me three months!



So that's it - the whole megillah!

I organized the yarn by weight, from lace at the top left and moving to super bulky at the far right. And note also the neatly organized knitting magazines, books & patterns. Yeah, I'll admit it, I'm bragging about my accomplishment. It does feel good to touch, feel and remember all of my yarn, right down to those discontinued Rowan lovelies.

And there's progress to report on the cashmere sweater, as well.



It's sleeve #1 - or most of it, anyway. My sleeves are going to be longer than the ones in the original pattern because I'm making mine full length instead of 3/4.

No Sockapalooza Socks in the mail yet. More disturbing (since my sending pal already wrote to tell me she would be late but was definitely working on my socks), I don't think my receiving pal got the socks I sent her yet. I mailed them two weeks ago! There is something going on with her - a vacation or something - that's causing her mail to be delayed, so I'm hoping that's the reason that she hasn't gotten them yet.

And in other knitting news, I signed up for the Forest Path Stole-A-Long. The Forest Path Stole is from an old issue of IK (some time in 2003?), and I've had my eye on it for a long time. Until now it seemed too intimidating, but I've become more confident with my lace abilities. I am thinking about making some adjustments: a garter stitch border instead of seed stitch and shrinking the width one or two repeats. I just got some Jade Sapphire Lacey Lamb in Champagne, which I think will be just right for this project. But I promised myself that I would complete at least two UFOs (including the current cashmere sweater) before casting on anything new. Can I do it??? My fingers are itching and twitching just thinking about starting something new . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

COngratulations on your massive stash reorg! It looks great!